WaterWater or other beverages are important in the maintaining of body water balance. It must be provided from the clean water resources for the life.
Functions of the water/fluid in the body :
- Digestion of foods we ate and absorption of the nutrients and also their transportation to the cells,
- Creation of necessary biochemical reactions in the cells for life and health,
- Functioning of cells, tissues, organs and systems,
- Transportation and discharge of harmful substances formed during metabolism,
- Providing the regulation of body temperature,
- Providing the lumbrication of the joints.
All components of human body except bone, skin, connective tissue and fat is in a solution in the fluid of body. The smallest vital units of the body are cells. All the biochemical reactions required for life in the cells are formed in this solution. Implementation of the cells’ vital activities and so body functions are possible with the maintenance of fluid balance of the body. The prevention of this balance is called “hydration”. Fluid balance of the body is ensured by drinking water and beverages and eating water containing foods, such as fruits and vegetables, which is lost by respiration, urination, perspiration and excretion.
How and in what amount is the water discharged from the body?In order to secure the body-temperature balance and discharge the harmful substances formed with the consumption of foods:
There is a total daily loss of water about 2.5 liters;
|From the kidneys||approximately 1500 mL/day|
|From the skin||approximately 500 mL/day|
|From the intestines||approximately 300 mL/day|
|With the respiration||approximately 300 mL/day|
How the water need is met?The person supplies his water need by:
|Drinking water||1200 - 1500 mL/day|
|Food and beverages||1000 mL/day|
|Water created by metabolism||260 mL/day|
- Water and bveragesare important in securing body-water balance.
- We must drink water which is a vital element for life, from healthy and clean sources.
- Man can live for days without eating food, but living for days without water is impossible.
- Especially in the diarrhea, salt and sugar containing liquid is a life-saver. The statement of, flowing water doesn’t get dirty, is wrong. For the reason that the microorganisms which kill people, are invisible, lucid vision of the water doesn’t show that it’s safe. Suspicious water must be drunk after being boiled and cooled. Boiled water must be ventilated by transferring it from container to container several times.
- Drinkable tap water must be used after flowing it a few minutes.
Dietary Guideline for Turkey, 2014